Fixer-Upper Giving You Problems? 4 Electrical Problems You Should Watch Out For

Posted on: 31 March 2016

You bought a fixer-upper. Now that you're living in it, you've noticed a few problems you weren't expecting. While some problems may be easy to fix, other problems may require professional assistance. This is particularly true of electrical problems. If you're experiencing any of the electrical problems described below, you should contact an electrician as soon as possible.

Lights Flickering

It's not uncommon for lights to flicker during bad weather – such as heavy winds or thunderstorms. However, if your lights flicker for what appears to be no reason at all, the reason may be hiding in your walls. There are actually a few electrical problems that can cause your lights to flicker.

Loose Connections

If you've noticed one particular light flickering, it could be due to a loose connection inside the fixture. You should discontinue using that fixture until you can have an electrician come out and repair the connection.

Faulty Wiring

If your lights flicker when you walk through a particular area in your home, or they flicker when you turn other electrical appliances on, you may have faulty wiring inside your home. The surges that are causing your lights to flicker could also be a sign that you have a short in your electrical system. Make a note of the fixtures that flicker and contact an electrician as soon as possible.

Electrical Odors

Electrical odors are nothing to ignore, especially if the odor smells like burning wires. If you've noticed this odor in your home, you need to contact an electrician as soon as possible. When outdated or damaged wiring heats up, it can cause electrical fires. Since most electrical fires begin inside the walls, they can go undetected for quite some time – often until the flames reach the living quarters of the home. If you notice electrical odors in your home, contact your electrician immediately.

Scorched or Damaged Outlets

If the electrical outlets in your home are old or outdated, they can overheat. When that happens, small electrical fires can erupt inside the outlet. Take a look at your outlets. If any of them have burns or scorch marks around the openings, you'll need to have them replaced as soon as possible. Place a strip of electrical tape over the damaged outlets. This will prevent them from being used until they can be replaced.

Electrical problems should never be ignored. For more information, contact Action Electric or a similar company.

Share