3 Red Flags That Indiciate It's Time to Call an Electrician

Posted on: 17 July 2015

Electricity powers everything you do in your home. Lights illuminate your hallways, your fridge keeps your food cold, and the Internet keeps you connected to family, friends, work, and entertainment. It is important to be mindful of your energy use and to also make sure that you are using your appliances safely and responsibly. Problems with the electrical wiring in your home can cause damage to your electronic devices and appliances, and it is also unsafe to be in a home where the wiring is faulty. Here are three red flags that indicate that it's time to call an electrician.

Flickering light bulbs are usually the first clue.

Light bulbs run on a simple circuit. They should light up your rooms evenly. They can also provide the first indication that something is not right with the electricity in your home. An uneven circuit of electricity can cause light bulbs to flicker. You may also notice that your light bulbs are burning dimly; in other cases, they may burn too brightly and burn out much more quickly. Of course, you should try changing a light bulb before pointing fingers at faulty circuitry; however, if unusual lighting still persists, then you should probably call an electrician.

Heat indicates excess electrical energy in the circuit.

You are familiar with the fact that an electronic device heats up the longer it runs. However, you may not know that heat is energy from the electrical circuit that is trying to escape in order to keep the circuit balanced. A circuit with too much electricity being fed into can damage the electronic device. The device can overheat and cease to function, leading to you have to replace the device. It is also possible to burn your skin if you are holding an overheating device. A device should not heat up to high temperatures unless it has been running for a long time.

Smoke is a dangerous sign of an electrical short circuit.

Smoke is a dangerous sign that the circuitry in your home cannot manage its electrical load. You are most likely to see smoke in this case coming from the outlets in the wall or from plug strips. Turn off all devices and pull the plugs of any appliances immediately to keep them from becoming fried. If smoke still persists, then call your local fire department. A short circuit is hazardous to your house, as too much energy or a short circuit can cause a fire.

For your electrical repair needs, contact a company like Direct Current.

Share